Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Shades of Gray

 Two New Pencil Drawings

Light Study

I haven't played with graphite for a long time, but I suddenly remembered how great it is to make different lighting effects. I came across a photo of a 1940s industrial scene in the Library of Congress collection which begged to be depicted in pencil.

Light streams in from a high window, illuminating sillhouettes of two workers awash in the heat of a blazing fire. There is no other information on the LoC file so the story is left up to your imagination!

One of the great things about graphite is it is so easy to prepare. Just paper, pencil, and eraser. Therefore, I had no excuse to not attempt another drawing. I used a photo from my trip to Paris to produce this portrait.


Dutch Man at Irish Pub in Paris
Now that I am thinking about graphite, I am seeing lots of possibilities for new drawings. I'm digging through my photos to find interesting lighting and I hope to have more to show soon.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice. I like both pictures. You really did a good job with the lighting. I look forward to seeing more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Shannon,
    Your website is extremely clear and informative. And I love your art! I am writing an article about DAFT for a travel writing class and wonder whether I could ask you a few questions about living in Holland for it? Thank you in advance for your help!

    ReplyDelete