Monday, June 30, 2014

Lily


A friend gave me a flea-market-find jewellry box with a picture frame in the lid. It seemed like a fun chance to experiment with three-dimensional layers in a collage! Lily is the result.


Like the other collages, it is centered around a 1920s style portrait done in watercolor pencil and black ink. Her dress is a knitted layer in black stretched over silver foil. I added three calla lilies to round out the foreground. Behind her a dragonfly is suspended mid-flight. The background is a sequin starfield suspended above black velvet.

The glass is secured by black and silver board cut in a design I found on an art deco gate. The box is painted in gloss black and is decorated with a black-on-black design from another deco gate.
This one took quite awhile since I needed to experiment with how to secure everything in place, but next time should be quicker. I think making an even bigger 3-D collage with more detail is my next challenge. I'll be keeping an eye out for some large and sturdy boxes!

2 comments:

  1. This is lovely. Nice use of multiple materials too. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete